If you are in the market for a vacant lot to build your dream home or cottage, or even if you are planning renovations on your existing home, you will find building to be both exhilarating and frustrating. Having built a new home myself, I thought I would share some of my tips:
1. Hire professionals
2. Participate in the design
3. Think everything through, including the little details (as much as possible) before you begin.
4. Be prepared to spend a lot more money than you budget for…little things add up quickly.
5. Think about RESALE–you may think this will be your last home “ever”, but chances are, it won’t be. Lifestyles change in moments.
6. Check all of the possible locations on your property to find the best building site–keep in mind sun position, wind direction, exposure, view, etc.
7. Work with your contractor through every step–there are always some changes that need to be made
8. Listen to your contractor
9. Don’t let anyone talk you out of something that you really want in your home.
10. Make sure you know where you want ALL of your electrical switches and plug outlets to go.
11. Make sure your electrician centers your lights or puts them exactly where you want them.
12. Make sure lines line up. Make sure things, such as shower drains, are centered. Once something is done it’s hard, or very expensive to undo.
13. Test your paint colours.
14. Enjoy the experience!
Here are some tips from the people at Houzz:
Kathy Dimaline is a Real Estate Broker for RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc. The comments on this Blog are the opinions, only, of Kathy Dimaline and do not constitute any legal advice or legal opinion and does not represent the interests or opinions of RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc., brokerage.