Electronic Signatures


Electronic signatures make life easier, uses less paper and gives you better control of the signing process. It is also the way of the future. However, it does take some getting used to.

You will receive an email from me that looks like this:


Note: If two of you need to sign, you will each receive a separate email and each will sign separately.

Read the message carefully because I will include instructions and details for each document to help you understand the actual documents that are included for signature.

Then click on the Pen Icon–Click here to sign.

This will take you to the Authentisign website, with a box entitled “Adopt a Signature”. You can do one of two types of signatures, choose a font—click on the Select a Font button. Click next to the font you like then click on Save.

Or, you can draw your signature. Click on the Draw your Signature button. This works well if you have a touch screen, simply use your finger and draw your signature. If you do not have a touch screen, you will have to use your mouse. Once finished click Next (or clear to try again). Now do your initials, then click Adopt Signature. Then click Accept.


You will then be taken to the document ready for your initials and signature. Review the document just as you would any other so that you completely understand what you are signing…(this is when my initial message with details and instructions will help).

When you are ready to sign, click the red Start button at the top right hand corner.


Then simply click on each of the places marked for initials and signatures…you will see the yellow box change to the style of signature you chose.


NO need to date…each signature is date and time stamped automatically.

When you have finished your last signature, click on the Complete button at top right.


Then click Complete Signing from the next drop down box.

Next, you will be asked for a Password, this is IMPORTANT, because this will allow you to access your signed documents and view the signing process.


You will then get a Thank You for using this process. Your job is done!

PLEASE NOTE: Once you receive this notice, you can be assured that the document has been automatically EMAILED BACK TO ME AND/OR ON TO THE NEXT PERSON FOR SIGNING.

You can access the document and view the signing process by clicking on the Click Here highlighted on the Thank You page:


Or, click on the highlighted Click Here, at any time, in the original email that was sent to you.

You will be taken to the Dashboard which will ask for your ID and Password, or will tell you that your signature has already been accepted…click on the Click Here highlighted on the left hand side.


Enter your user name (your email address) and password (the password you created earlier).


You can then see who has signed and who hasn’t, and navigate through the documents.


You can leave the document in the Authentisign program for access at any time or print it for your files or save it as a .pdf.

Once you have done this once, it’s very simple…and, you will have to do it again for other documents such as Offers and Counter Offers.



Kathy Dimaline is a Real Estate Broker for RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc.  The comments on this Blog are the opinions, only, of Kathy Dimaline and do not constitute any legal advice or legal opinion and does not represent the interests or opinions of RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc., brokerage.


Do You Need a Permit for a Dock on your Shore?

If you have a waterfront home or cottage or vacant waterfront lot and you want to install a dock so that you can keep a boat at your shore you need to do some investigation prior to construction.

Investigate Conditions

Investigate Conditions

On smaller inland lakes, having a dock at your shore is a common occurrence.  However, on the larger Great Lakes, I strongly suggest analysing water conditions, shoals and prevailing winds. There are many days where the lake is very calm and it looks like you can put a dock out, but there are just as many days where the lake is extremely rough due to wave action or winds.  This wave action can do major damage to your dock and your boat.  Pull out charts or talk to neighbours who are familiar with the area to check for shoals and other water hazards.  It is most likely you will have to be in a protected harbour that offers access to the open lake.  FYI, these types of properties tend to have higher real estate value.

Example of a Boat Slip

Example of a Boat Slip

Once you determine that you can have a dock, you want to then determine what type of dock.  The main types of docks are:  boat slips, often carved out of rock at the shore; crib docks which have large areas in the water that are netted and filled with stones, rock or concrete; pole docks, which are becoming more and more popular because you can pull them in for winter protection; cantilevered docks that protrude out from a raise shore, usually on a rock formation; and floating docks, which usual extend off of any of the above mentioned choices.

Example of Crib Dock in Progress

Example of Crib Dock
Under Construction

The Ministry of Natural Resources control any work that may affect water vegetation or fish habitats.  Anything that involves dredging in the water or any large construction on the shore or bottom of the lake…whether you are adding to the shore (ie adding sand) or removing rock or sand from the shore.

As far as a dock is concerned, you need to apply for a work permit if you are creating a boat slip or channel involving dredging or if you are creating a dock with cribs or a boathouse that is placed on the lake bottom that is more than 15 square meters.

Example of a Pole Dock

Example of a Pole Dock

Generally, you DO NOT need a permit for cantilevered docks, floating or pole docks and any other dock with a total surface of less than 15 square meters on the lake bed.   However, I recommend, if you plan to install a dock at your property you should contact your local Ministry of Natural Resources office for confirmation of their rules and regulations.

You can find further information on this website:  http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/CrownLand/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165788.html

Happy Boating!

Kathy Dimaline is a Real Estate Broker for RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc.  The comments on this Blog are the opinions, only, of Kathy Dimaline and do not constitute any legal advice or legal opinion and does not represent the interests or opinions of RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc., brokerage.

Land Transfer Tax



If you are buying a home, cottage, vacant lot, commercial property or farm, you will be paying the Ministry of Finance a Land Transfer tax.  This is a graduated percentage of the property you are buying.


Here’s the schedule for that graduated tax:

  • 0.5% of the value of the consideration up to and including $55,000,
  • 1% of the value of the consideration which exceeds $55,000 up to and including $250,000, and
  • 1.5% of the value of the consideration which exceeds $250,000, and
  • 2% of the amount by which the value of the consideration exceeds $400,000 for land that contains at least one and not more than two single family residences.

I find it much easier to calculate using a Land Transfer Tax Calculator…click on the image above or click here for a link to a calculator:  http://www.macnaughtonlaw.com/landtax.htm

Some Municipalities, such as Toronto charge an additional Land Transfer Tax when you buy…but there is no such extra tax on the Bruce Peninsula.

You pay this tax on closing and it is usually taken care of by your lawyer.

This is an additional cost to your purchase and should be taken into consideration when planning your finances.

For more information you can go to the Ministry of Finance website at:  http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/tax/ltt/

Kathy Dimaline is a Real Estate Broker for RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc.  The comments on this Blog are the opinions, only, of Kathy Dimaline and do not constitute any legal advice or legal opinion and does not represent the interests or opinions of RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc., brokerage.

Drinking Water Safety

Only 4% of the earth’s water is Fresh, of that, 95% is ground water, and 5% is considered Surface water and NOT safe for drinking.  Ground water is surface water that has been naturally filtered through the ground, making it safe to drink.  Everyone deserves and wants safe drinking water at their residence.
On the Bruce Peninsula only Wiarton, Sauble and Lions Head have Municipal Water systems.  Wiarton charges $25.00 per month plus $1.45 per cubic meter.  Sauble charges $20.00 per month plus $1.32 per cubic meter plus an annual fee of $85.00.   Lions Head charges $525/yr plus $2.25 per cubic meter.  These numbers are based on 2013 rates.
All other residences and cottages have private wells.  It is the owners responsibility to ensure they have safe drinking water for their families, guests (including renters) and potential buyers.  A buyer may accept a property with less than satisfactory water quality but any potential mortgage holder will NOT.  A buyer may accept a property with less than satisfactory water quality provided they have been so informed and are aware of any risks.  Problems with a well, septic, or water quality and quantity should always be disclosed.  Such disclosure will help to protect a seller from future repercussions.
The Grey Bruce Public Health Department only tests private well water for “bacterial contamination”.  We are in a low risk area for “chemical” contamination, however, if you are selling or buying a gas station or a service station or a home or cottage near this type of business, it is wise to test for chemicals as well.  Public Health does not offer this service.  Wellaware.ca has information on how to obtain private testing for “non-biological” parameters.
WatertestA bacteriological analysis tests for Coliform and E. Coli.  The Health Department recommends that you test your well 3 times per year and generally speaking you want a reading of “0” Coliform and “0” E. Coli.  Don’t assume that your water is biologically safe…the tests are free and worth your health.   Click here for Test Result Outcomes
In this area, Coliform is usually bacteria built up in the pipes servicing your home.  This bacteria can be built up through lack of use, ie:  if you come to your cottage only a few times a year, or from contaminated surface water that is seeping into your well.  E. Coli is the bad stuff which is usually human or animal waste.  These contaminants are not likely to be transported to your well through the water table or aquifer through natural flow, but likely conveyed through improperly sealed wells, unused wells, poor septic systems, or nearby farms leaching into the ground water.
It has been my experience, that most wells in this area test well.  However, it is important to maintain your well and your septic system to eliminate possible contamination.  Wells need to be 50’ from any septic system.  Receipt of  a test with E. Coli should indicate to you a problem with your system or a neighbours and this should be investigated further.  I would like to point, however, that you can easily contaminate a water sample by simple improper handling of the bottle.  That’s why the Health Department wants 3 tests to determine stability of the system.  Click here for directions on taking a water sample.
BleachThe Health Department recommends “shocking” or “disinfecting” your well any time a water system has been opened for repairs or if your first sample test has a Coliform reading.  “Shocking” the well simply means introducing chlorine (bleach) to the system to kill bacteria in the lines.  Click here for instructions on disinfecting your well.  If “shocking” the well does not result in a negative reading, ie “0” Coliform…don’t continue to “shock”…it’s time for a professional.  Call a plumber.   You may need a water treatment devise.  There are a number of treatment options depending on your water quality; filters, chlorine pumps, ultraviolet irradiation, ozone, etc.  Most common problems can be solved easily and inexpensively and will give you peace of mind in the future.
You can find further information on safe drinking water by clicking on this link.
Safe water is a privilege and a right.  Be safe, be healthy.
FACT:  The average Canadian household uses 350 litres of water per day, that’s twice as much as the average European household.*  Perhaps it’s because we have access to such an abundance of fresh water!
FACT:  The sale of bottle water is NOT regulated in Canada.  Bottled water may contain naturally occurring bacteria which, under improper and/or prolonged storage conditions, could increase in numbers to levels that may be harmful to health.*
* Public Health Department Safe Water booklet


Kathy Dimaline is a Real Estate Broker for RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc.  The comments on this Blog are the opinions, only, of Kathy Dimaline and do not constitute any legal advice or legal opinion and does not represent the interests or opinions of RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc., brokerage.

Let’s talk about “Poop”

Click on photo to Link to Further Information

Click on photo to Link to Further Information

If you are buying a cottage, a rural home or lot, for the first time, chances are you are going to want to know about septic systems.  Simply put, a septic is a management system to treat your wastewater—anything that is put down a toilet and anything that goes down your drain.  Waste flows down from the house to the tank, and down from the tank to a “title bed”.  A traditional septic system is a completely passive system (there are other systems, but that’s a topic for another blog).

Basically, you have a tank that is buried in your yard.  As per the diagram below, wastewater flows into the tank from your house at one end (A) and leaves the tank at the other (E).


As new water enters the tank, it displaces the water that’s already there. This water (C) flows out of the septic tank and into a “tile bed”.  A tile bed is made of perforated pipes buried in trenches in your yard.  This water is then naturally filtered through the earth.

Anything heavier than water, sinks to the bottom of the tank, this is called sludge (D). Soap suds and fats form a floating layer at the top known as “scum” (B).

The organic material in your wastewater is broken down by bacteria, which is a by-product of human waste.  This is a natural process which helps to reduce any scum and sludge from leaving with the water that flows into the tile bed.  Scum and sludge are what must be pumped out so that they do not begin to leave the tank with the water and plug up the tile bed.  You should pump out every 3 to 5 years depending on use.

Here’s an overhead view of the system of your house (A), tank (B), distribution box (C) and tile bed (D), in a traditional septic there are usually 5 runs in the tile bed.


It is important to limit the use of soaps and bleaches that may make their way into your septic tank as these can kill off the bacteria needed to reduce scum and sludge.  Avoid chemicals and reduce the amount of toilet paper used.

To keep your system healthy you need to understand it and be able to educate your family and guests.  A good slogan for everyone using your system is:  “If you didn’t eat it, don’t flush it”.

Here are some links for further information on septic systems:

Septic system brochure:  http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@ene/@resources/documents/resource/std01_079839.pdf

Septic system guide:


Northern Bruce Peninsula Septic Guide:



Kathy Dimaline is a Real Estate Broker for RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc.  The comments on this Blog are the opinions, only, of Kathy Dimaline and do not constitute any legal advice or legal opinion and does not represent the interests or opinions of RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc., brokerage.

More Wind Turbines on the Bruce Peninsula??

View from my office this morning.  -12 Cold and Snowy.  Glad to be Home!

View from my office


Click Here to sign PC Party Petition

Preneal Canada Inc. is proposing to develop over 200 Wind Turbines on the Bruce Peninsula in the Mar to Lindsay Road 20, Hwy 6, corridor.  There is a strong action group of concerned citizens opposing the turbines and have so far, after much protest, successfully convinced the Northern Bruce Peninsula Council to pass a motion for “No More Wind Turbines on the Bruce Peninsula”.

Click Here for Tobermory Press Article

Click Here for Sun Times Article

Does this really mean “No More Wind Turbines on the Bruce Peninsula”, when the Green Energy Act has taken power away from local governments?

The Bruce Peninsula Wind Turbine Action Group has a great website providing a tremendous amount of information about the impact of wind turbines on health, real estate, environment and wildlife.

Click Here for the Bruce Peninsula Wind Turbine Action Group Website

This site also provides the proposed Wind Farm locations, which you will find here.

Here are their links to reports on how Wind Turbines affect Real Estate.

The PC government has an on-going Moratorum and they are inviting people to sign their petition.  Click on the Wind Turbine photo above to sign their petition.

Will we have additional Wind Turbines on the Peninsula or won’t we?  How this will affect potential buyer’s, is yet to be seen.

I hope you find this information to be helpful.

Watch for my next blog on

10 Benefits to an Overpriced Listing

Don’t forget to send your comments, stories, or ideas, in the comment section below or via email at dimaline@amtelecom.net.

. .

Kathy Dimaline is a Real Estate Broker for RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc.  The comments on this Blog are the opinions, only, of Kathy Dimaline and do not constitute any legal advice or legal opinion and does not represent the interests or opinions of RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc., brokerage.

© Copyright Kathy Dimaline, All Rights Reserved

Clean your Windows??

I bumped into these guys in Owen Sound and arranged for them to come to my place, on the Bruce Peninsula, to clean my windows for me…all 50 of them.  I was very impressed!

Click on the photo to go to their website…ask for Matt (tell him I sent you)